Pharmaseekers’ Kitchen – Shabana rustles up Mac & Cheese
Month #2 – Shabana takes on Mac & Cheese
It’s month two and Shabana shares a recipe she found on Instagram for a spruced up Mac & Cheese.
What are we making?: Kausloves Mac & Cheese
Ingredients you will need:
- 250g pasta (dry weight)
- 60g unsalted butter
- 50g plain flour
- 750ml milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 250g Cheese (I used Gruyere & Cheddar)
- 1 heaped tbsp cream cheese
- 1/2 cup water
- 50g Panko breadcrumbs
- More cheese for the topping
- Basil (optional)
- Make the roux with Butter & Flour
- Cook for 1 minute on low heat
- Add 1/3 of the milk and mix to avoid lumps
- Add the rest in parts until fully combined
- Add garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Let the sauce simmer on low heat for 5-6 minutes.
- Meanwhile boil the pasta (I used elbow macaroni) for 2 minutes less than stated cooking time so that it is Al dente, mine took 5 minutes.
- Add the cheeses to the sauce and turn the heat off. The cheese will melt with the residual heat and form a thick silky sauce. (I used Gruyere and mild cheddar, mozarella works great too)
- Add the pasta to the sauce and mix (at this point it will seem like there is way too much sauce to pasta ratio – but don’t worry)
- Add to an oven proof baking dish.
- Top with more cheese and Panko bread crumbs.
- Add dried basil or any herb you like
- Bake in the middle of a preheated oven at 180C or 160C fan.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes and then dig in 🙂
Did it taste good?
Yes, really good. It’s very rich so I couldn’t eat lots of it but it’s a great dish if you’re a cheese lover.
Was it easy to make?
Yes, it wasn’t too difficult at all. The most difficult bit was probably making the sauce.
Would I change anything?
Yes, actually I’d use salted butter instead of unsalted.
Would I make it again?
Yes, I’d definitely make it again. It’s a perfect dish for sharing too. Also, it would be easy to add other ingredients in the dish as well, as long as they don’t release too much moisture as that could split your cheese sauce.